Dave Toll
Toffson directory ad
Concrete - Art of Concrete
Toffson directory ad
expiry May 1 2012
Building Permits

Building Permits.

Do you need one?

If one of the Following items describes the nature of your project home renovation project in Kitchener Waterloo or Cambridge, you may require a building permit

  • Detached garage or shed greater than 108 square feet (measured to outside face of walls)
  • Attached garage, carport, shed or other roof structure of any size
  • Decks higher then 24 inches above grade
  • Finish basement of a house
  • Add a bedroom to the basement
  • Addition to a building
  • Swimming pool with a depth of 36” or greater (including temporary or inflatable)
  • Creating a duplex, in-law suite, apartment or granny flat
  • Plumbing fixtures added or relocated
  • Removal of a load bearing wall, column or beam
  • Re-insulating walls, ceilings or floors
  • Woodstove or wood burning fireplace
  • Increasing the width of an existing opening, for new windows or doors
  • Retaining wall that is greater then 3’-3” in height
  • Septic System installations and alterations
  • Site Service (Water or Sewer Lines)
  • New Residential Dwellings
  • Demolition of a structure greater than 108 square feet
  • Tent or group of tents that is,
    • a. more than 60m² (646 ft²) in aggregate ground area,
    • b. attached to a building,
    • or c. constructed within 3m (9’-10”) of any structure
  • Industrial, commercial, institutional and multi-residential construction or alterations or changes of use

The following examples may not require building permits.

  • Structure less than 108 square feet measured from the outside face of walls (that does not contain plumbing)
  • Gas fireplace
  • Fence, follow local zoning regulations
  • Water softener
  • Painting, cabinets, wall papering, tile, carpet, countertops, and similar finish work
  • Door and window replacements, within existing openings
  • New shingles on existing roof
  • Removing a non-load bearing wall of single, semi-detached or townhouse
  • Replacing a plumbing fixture such as toilet, bathtub or sink

If you are not sure, call your local building division. They will tell you if a permit is needed and what drawings you may require.

Kitchener – (519) 741-2433

Waterloo – (519) 747-8712

Cambridge - (519) 740-4613

City inspectors do not inspect electrical work. If electrical work is required for the project, a permit and inspection is required from your local Electrical utility.

For Kitchener Electrical Safety Authority 1-877-421-2228

For Waterloo contact Tel: 1-800-813-5482

For Cambridge - Electrical Safety Authority at 1-877-372-7233